We Can Help
Eye emergencies require immediate treatment. Swift action could help preserve you or your loved one’s vision. If you experience any of the emergencies listed below, contact our office right away for help.
If we are closed, please proceed to the nearest emergency room or urgent care center.
Types of Eye Emergencies
- Irritants: Found in items with a neutral PH like detergents and pepper spray.
- Alkali: Found in objects such as fertilizer, cleaning products, and cement.
- Acid: Found in products such as nail polish, vinegar, and car batteries.
If you experience a chemical splash, flush your eyes with cold water for several minutes, and seek immediate treatment from a professional.
Tears, Rips, & Punctures
Tears, rips, and punctures are some of the most severe eye emergencies.
- Leave the object exactly as it is.
- The size of the object determines how you should bandage it:
- If it is small, cover both eyes with a sterile dressing.
- If it is large, tape a paper cup over the affected eye and cover the other eye with a sterile dressing.
Seek medical treatment for rips, tears, and punctures right away. If your emergency occurs outside our regular business hours, please proceed to the nearest emergency room.
Proper eye protection is essential if you’re playing sports, using chemicals, or working in a hazardous area. Experts say 90% of all eye emergencies can be prevented by wearing appropriate protection.
If you or a loved one experiences an eye emergency, Griffin Optometric Group – Talega is here to offer assistance and ensure proper treatment.
Help is waiting. Contact us right away!